[Sigia-l] DHTML Menus and HTML Widgets

Listera listera at rcn.com
Wed Jul 17 13:41:46 EDT 2002

"robert.dornbush at ps.ge.com" wrote:

> I do agree that true artistic & programming skills are a rare combo, but I
> think it's time to recognize HTML developers as programmers too, else we put
> the C++ and Java guys on a pedestal in the hallowed halls of "real
> programming" and dismiss HTML, Java script, etc. as some sort of inferior
> "pretty pictures" programming that a third grader could do...

(Emotions, team roles, pretty pictures, pedestals aside,) people just can't
seem to be focusing on a *narrow* point these day, so I'll repeat one last
time: programming (executable code writing) and markup (tagging text) are
*technically* not the same thing. I oversimplified it for the sake of
emphasis here, but there remains a fundamental difference there, requiring
quite different skill sets.

Best,