[Sigia-l] DHTML Menus and HTML Widgets

robert.dornbush at ps.ge.com robert.dornbush at ps.ge.com
Wed Jul 17 09:10:05 EDT 2002

Ziya Oz, also known as Listerine, said that I said,

"robert.dornbush at ps.ge.com" wrote:

> ...be very wary of an HTML developer / web designer who does not know how
> write his/her own custom Java scripts.

I disagree. JavaScript is (essentially) programming, while HTML is markup. I
would much rather see programmers be in charge of programming (JS) and
designers in charge of design. I'm not saying that one can't do the other,
but that ought to be a happy/lucky coincidence, as opposed to the rule.

<<

and I disagree with his disagreement.  I would argue that there is no such
thing as a web designer, it's just a pretentious term for an HTML developer
who fancies himself an artist. [I'm sure that the title "webmaster" like
"business strategist" is now nearly extinct].
When I said HTML developer / web designer...I meant a person who writes
presentation layer code with [hopefully] some design sensibilities....

I do agree that true artistic & programming skills are a rare combo, but I
think it's time to recognize HTML developers as programmers too, else we put
the C++ and Java guys on a pedestal in the hallowed halls of "real
programming" and dismiss HTML, Java script, etc. as some sort of inferior
"pretty pictures" programming that a third grader could do.

Regards,
R2