[Sigia-l] The New Nielsen?

David Heller hippiefunk at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 16 11:43:46 EDT 2002

Hi Paula,

I think you are overstating your case and there is evidence in the
non-web world that the "pleasure principle" is of financial importance.

1. Museums: If museums weren't pleasurable to go to most people wouldn't
bother getting the information that these institutions have to share.

2. Documentaries: the best documentaries are also the ones that are the
most entertaining, that even though they are documenting, they still
have a story or a frame of reference that we feel we are exploring

3. Department stores: It is a pleasure to go to a Wall-mart in many
ways, but it is a lot more pleasurable to go to a Nordstroms or to the
grand Macy's on 34th St. People tend to spend more when they are engaged
in the spending.

4. Architecture of any type: We all hate your standard cube. Sure its
functional and efficient, but it makes us feel like hampsters and thus
"less-efficient". But also our homes. We will spend more on a home that
is more beautiful, more trimmed, even if it is just as practical as its
competitor that is ugly and without a good environment.

My favorite web example:
1. Travel sites: I love Expedia & Orbitz b/c of their design. I use them
more. In fact I use Expedia Maps more than Mapquest solely b/c of the
presentation and how you get there. I find Travelocity and Cheap tickets
which while they offer sometimes cheaper fares, not the place I go at
first. They are my exception b/c of the "pleasure principle"

Some people talk about the trickle down theory of economics, well I'm a
firm believer in the tickle theory of economics. Just give me a little
something to "laugh" about and I'll be more likely to let loose of my
change.

The issues about many sites on the web being solely about entertainment
are obvious and don't bear repeating, but I'm a strong believer in the
Experience Design "movement" that AIGA is promoting right now, and that
through D. Norman's efforts so is NN/G.

If anything is true Neilsen is on a bandwagon, but not b/c he is trying
to appease anyone, its b/c he sees a ship sailing w/o him, that he
finally (possibly) realizes he needs to get on.

If his influence can help drive software developers to do what
architecture & industrial design have known for decades if not centuries
than I'd say ... Lets encourage him!

To prove my point ... How many people out there saw the new iMac and had
an emotional visceral response to it. Mine was incredibly positive and
if I was in the market at this point I would have bought one, just b/c
of its design. I even told myself, that it was worth buying a new desk
just so it looked right in my office. I know others had a negative
reaction to it, but the point is that emotions ("pleasure") drives
economics as much as need or the practical.

-- dave

David Heller
Sr. UI Designer
Documentum: The Leader in Enterprise Content Management
http://www.documentum.com/

T: 925-600-5636
E: david.heller at documentum.com
AIM: bolinhanyc // Yahoo: dave_ux // MSN: hippiefunk at hotmail.com

"If it is not useful, it will never be usable." --