[Sigia-l] Marcia Bates on Web-era information retrieval

Mike.Steckel at SEMATECH.Org Mike.Steckel at SEMATECH.Org
Wed Jul 10 14:38:43 EDT 2002

I agree that this is a fantastic article. I read a lot of stuff I am
enthusiastic about, but thought this was really first rate.

As to your question about why more people are not doing faceted classification I
think there are several reasons. First, it is difficult to do the analysis part.
Second, it can be very difficult to display. However, the biggest reason is
probably that most people have never heard of faceted classification (believe it
or not).

When she says, "it has been an article of faith in the Internet culture that
librarians have nothing to contribute to this new age." I don't only blame the
whatever the "Internet culture" is. Some of the blame must go to librarians who
have done a terrible job marketing their unique skills.

-----Original Message-----
From: christina wodtke [mailto:cwodtke at eleganthack.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 1:29 PM
To: SIGIA-L
Subject: Re: [Sigia-l] Marcia Bates on Web-era information retrieval

> A fresh must read:  "After the Dot-Bomb:  Getting Web Information
Retrieval
> Right this Time" by UCLA's Marcia Bates (of berry-picking fame).

"Using old-fashioned hierarchical classifications.
When classifications are used in Internet databases, it is hierarchical
classifications that are almost invariably used. These are in the
conventional "tree" shape, a broad area subdivided, then subdivided again
and again, with each possible category contained within the one above.
Librarians invented a better kind of classification decades ago, that is
called faceted classification. It is too involved to explain in this brief
article, but a good analogy is to say that faceted classification is to
hierarchical classification as relational databases are to hierarchical
databases. Most system designers would not dream of using hierarchical files
these days, so why are hierarchical classifications of information content
still being used? "
gosh faceted classification is easy and better! why doesn't everyone doing
it?

I'm getting a weird sense of deja vu. What do folks think about this?

*Plain text, please; NO Attachments

ASIST SIG IA website: http://www.asis.org/SIG/SIGIA/index.html