[Sigia-l] pre-written controlled vocabs?

huerro at consumer.org huerro at consumer.org
Fri Jul 5 10:06:11 EDT 2002

Brenda,

Barbara Quint wrote an article you might want to take a look at:

"Out-of-the-Box experiences and taxonomies."
Information Today
11/1/01
No. 10, Vol. 18; Pg. 8

Excerpt:

"Recently, staff members in the business development department at Gale
Group, a major full-text database aggregator, started to get requests from
clients for licensing some of their content-management tools (thesauri,
company names, topical indexes, subject vocabulary)." "New customers used
their tools in several different ways. Usually they want the taxonomies as
intranet and extranet tools. Some companies want a one-time use of the tools
to "jumpstart" in-house data-handling efforts. Some want to extract a
portion of the Gale thesauri that matches their information needs."

Bob Huerster, Sr. Research Librarian, Indexer, Thesaurus Editor,
huerro at consumer.org