[Sigia-l] IA case studies?

Eric Scheid eric.scheid at ironclad.net.au
Thu Jul 4 23:31:49 EDT 2002

From: Toms <tomsstephens at yahoo.com> (5/7/02 9:20 AM)
>On an intuition/gut level though I must disagree -- that's not really a
>case study because it doesn't have enough "hands on" exposition. I
>probably need to read it right through again, it's been awhile, and I'm
>frequently wrong.
>
>What would be the argument *for* it being a case study? Examining these
>border cases can be useful and interesting :-)

I had the same thought, but from off-list discussion with Victor we came
to the conclusion that case studies need to be written with two audiences
in mind: the practitioner, and the business client.

Different case studies will have different audience priorities, and the
CIO article is slanted towards the business client end of the scale. In
the same way, some case studies would be written with the practitioner as
the priority, and these would read more like tutorial geek tales.

So, on that point, what are some the specific features of case studies
that clients are looking for, asking for, in case studies? Which ones do
they find more useful and/or interesting?

e.