[Sigia-l] Help! New job ... terrible knowledge management

karl fast karl.fast at pobox.com
Wed Jul 3 21:45:33 EDT 2002

> Need the name of a great book of RDBMS design so they will
> understand why their design is so bad? "Database Design for Mere
> Mortals."

What I like about this book--the reason I recommend it--is that it's
about database design as a process. It emphasizes the importance of
requirements gathering and gives good advice about how to do it
within the context of designing a database.

It doesn't, however, do the best job (IMHO) of teaching relational
theory. It gives you techniques but not necessarily understanding. I
find it's helpful to combine with a book on relational design and a
book on SQL (The SQL Handbook is outstanding).

--karl