[Sigia-l] various definitions of "information"

Listera listera at rcn.com
Tue Dec 31 14:50:15 EST 2002

"christina wodtke" wrote:

>> time :-) splitting hairs on this. It depends on the recipient. Or does it?
>
> It seems to-- reminds me of experience design-- can you design an
> experience?

If you frame it so generally, yes. But perhaps you mean, can you design a
strictly defined experience and guarantee its delivery and intended effect
on a specific person? Then it gets far more difficult to answer in the
affirmative.

> If a tree falls in the woods..?

Quite. That's the problem I have with all these ornate definitions of
data/information. One man's data is another man's information. The
distinction between the two can often be blurred, it's a continuum rather
than a distinct jump.

Ultimately, why is this distinction between data and information thought to
be so important and/or useful? (As David says) like love, don't we know
information when we see it? :-)

Best,