[Sigia-l] making the case for field research for innovation

Listera listera at rcn.com
Fri Dec 13 13:52:22 EST 2002

"Lord, Ralph" wrote:

> All were/are known to have engaged in no small amount of field research and
> last time I looked had invented a few things and sold a few gazillion
> dollars worth of stuff.

Field research may lead to innovation or invention (not necessarily
interchangeable, BTW) or may actually hinder it. The latter by pandering to
what customers might think they need/want today, as opposed what they might
need/want in the future. Sometimes you have to follow customers, sometimes
you have to lead them. It depends.

The easiest way to convince reluctant management to buy into field research
is not to use highfalutin ethnographic terminology, but to remind them that
their salesforce is engaged in 'field research' pretty much all day long.

Best,