[Sigia-l] Texts in e-book (Microsoft/Adobe Reader) format

Leslie Johnston johnston at virginia.edu
Tue Dec 10 13:46:04 EST 2002

The Electronic Text Center at the University of Virginia Library
(http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/) has been supporting the creation of ebooks
from electronic texts for a few years now.  I don;'t find it too onerous to
read with the Ebook reader on my screen.  For printing the Etext Center has
been developing scripts to transform the same XML documents used to create
the ebooks into well-formatted printable PDFs.

At this past JCDL meeting a paper was presented written by one of the Etext
staff along with a Microsoft researcher, based on case studies for use in
the classroom ("Reading-in-the-Small: A Study of Reading on Small Form
Factor Devices," by Catherine C. Marshall and Christine Ruotolo /
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=544220.544230).  It was an overall
good experience for the students.  I have personally tried it on my Palm
and find the screen real estate to be the biggest issue..

That said, I went to a keynote presentation last month at the Digital
Library Federation meeting by Bill Hill, the head of the Electronic Books
project at Microsoft Research.  He gave an excellent talk (which is sadly
not available online) on all of the pros and cons for reading ebooks, and
showed one of the new tablet devices using ClearType technology.  It was
impressive.

Leslie