[Sigia-l] a word or two that means 'go to advanced search'

Travis Wilson trav at ciaheadquarters.com
Tue Dec 10 11:59:17 EST 2002

You and I know it's an advanced search or a result filter, but why bother
to explain that to your users? It's clearer and more direct just to offer
the "advanced search options" right there with the results.

For example, a common and successful trick is to offer a "more like this"
link by each result. This is a link to advanced search functionality, but
it doesn't freak people out or make them afraid they'll have to start
over.

In other words, try making the entire search task one seamless process. As
long it fits in your interface, intersperse useful filtering links
throughout the results, like "more results from this day" or "see all of
Joe Bob's picks". Obviously, the specifics here depend on the nature of
your result set.

I use "advanced search" and often go straight to "power search" on Amazon
and IMDB. I'm fully aware that (within an acceptable error margin) I'm the
only person in the world who does this.

trav