[Sigia-l] psst / Polar book

Richard Wiggins rich at richardwiggins.com
Thu Aug 29 11:15:47 EDT 2002

Wow, congratulations to Lou and to Peter on the 2d edition!

Here's an interesting quirk:  Try finding the new book on Amazon.  Go to the
Amazon home page, don't click on the Books tab, and just do a search for:

 information architecture

The federated hit list doesn't include "the" book we want!

Now click on the hyperlink (not the tab) for "All Books" and you see both
editions, with the 2d edition shown first, as "Most Popular".

Seems Amazon could tweak their algorithms a bit here, scoring word proximity
higher, scoring initial phrase higher, and scoring popularity higher.  It
may be that the algorithm for books ought to be different than the algorithm
for other products (I wonder if it is?)  If I walked into Barnes and Noble
and asked for a book named "Information Architecture" I bet their title
search would work first time.

Of course ORA features the title on their home page.  They also offer as a
sample the chapter on ... search systems!

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/infotecture2/chapter/index.html

Ahh, sweet irony.  :-)

/rich

(PS - as accidental thesaurus editor I'd make sure "The Polar Bear Book"
matches as that seems to be the more popular phrase in this crowd!)

On Wed, 28 August 2002, Luz M Quiroga wrote:

> I just got the book, from O'Reilly, here in hawaii. Must be already in
> mainland bookstores
>
> Luz

Richard Wiggins
Writing, Speaking, and Consulting on Internet Topics
rich at richardwiggins.com       www.richardwiggins.com