[Sigia-l] BAYCHI: May 1 Talk-- Should you go to Grad School in HCI?

Paul Whitmore pwhitmore at etrade.com
Mon Apr 29 15:48:56 EDT 2002

BayCHI Student BOF Panel Discussion:
Should you go to Grad School in HCI?  A Perspective from Industry

and

BayCHI Mentor Program Launch

Wednesday, May 1, 7:00 PM
Oracle
100 Oracle Parkway, Room 104
Redwood Shores

Directions: http://www.baychi.org/bof/events/mtgmapmo.html

---

Mentor Kickoff and Networking
7:00-7:30 PM

The new BayCHI Mentor Program is for students (undergraduate and graduate)
who are pursuing a degree related to HCI and are entering the workplace
within the next few years.  Students will have the opportunity to register
for a new mentor program where professionals from BayCHI have volunteered
to mentor students.

Subsequent mentor-student meetings will be primarily online chats and other
online forums.

Questions about the mentor program?
Contact Lynda Sereno, lsereno at baychi.org

---

Student BOF Panel Discussion
Should you go to Grad School in HCI?  A Perspective from Industry
7:30-9:00 PM

A panel of PhDs, and one "control" subject (without a doctorate but with
extensive industry experience) will discuss the range of costs and benefits
of graduate school.

Topics will include:

  + Should I go to graduate school to improve my job skills?
  + If I want to apply to graduate school, what should I do to prepare?
  + If I do choose to go, which is right for me: masters or PhD?
  + How can I combine my interest in research with my desire to make a
     difference in the wider world?
  + How can research skills be used in the workplace?
  + What are the financial costs and benefits of graduate school?

Panel Members:

Paul Whitmore, currently directs Usability Testing at ETRADE
   (Ph.D. Psychology, Stanford; M.Ed., Harvard Ed School)

David Fetherstonhaugh, Marketing Research in Silicon Valley
   (Ph.D. Psychology, M.S. Statistics, Stanford)

Jesse Ellenbogen, manager of usability for Moxi Digital; previously at
Sony and Apple.
   (B.S. in M.E. Product Design at Stanford, '92)

---

The panel discussion is free and open to all; membership in BayCHI is
required to register for the mentor program.

For more information about the BayCHI Student BOF (Birds of a Feather
Group), visit http://www.baychi.org/bof/student/