[Sigia-l] is midwest, is not midwest

Louise gruenberg.louise at attbi.com
Fri Apr 19 21:37:38 EDT 2002

David,

I designate New England as any place where they say 'soder' for pop.
When I was in undergrad school in VT (lo, these many years) I used to
have arguments with New Englanders who claimed that Illinois was not the
midwest. They said that Colorado was the midwest. As far as they were
concerned, New England was New England, and everything east of the
Mississippi was east. (I can't remember where south started.) Also, I
think New York was in a special category of its own.

Geography, like everything else, apparently resides in personal mental
schemas.

Native Chicagoan (that means I'm immured to weather conditions from
Georgia to South Dakota),

Louise Gruenberg