[Sigia-l] RE: IA Practice Maturation

Frederic Cavazza frederic.cavazza at framfab.fr
Fri Apr 19 03:23:12 EDT 2002

--the (lack of) translation of IA stuff to and general knowledge of IA in
their language;
--anti-Americanism (they just didn't want to listen because it was yet
another instance of the US taking over the world)

Are we debating on the US imperialism here again ???? I believe we
(continental Europeans) have booth to learn from US and northern European
countries. Even if US can be considered as the leading on-line market, do
not forget that many gurus comes from Scandinavia : Linus Thorvald (LINUX),
Jacob Nielsen, Jacobson (UML)... In my point of view, Scandinavia and
especially Sweden stands for being a kind of laboratory in new technologies
(mobile Internet, Broadband...).

Also, I don't think language is effectively a barrier. Aren't interfaces
supposed to be universals ??? I mean a button is a button, check boxes are
check boxes. How can cultural differences change our way of designing
interfaces ? The same rules of consistency, ergonomy, efficiency applies to
every Web interfaces, no matter which country you are targeting, no ?