[Sigia-l] IA Practice Maturation

Ziya Oz ZiyaOz at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 18 14:00:22 EDT 2002

"eric mahleb" wrote:

> it seems like we all agree on the fact that
> continental Europe is lagging behind.

It seems to me that people who have complained about Europe lagging haven't
really explained if this was lagging in terms of buzzword compliance or
actual results.

I don't particularly frequent Euro sites, but I don't have the impression
that they are noticeably and significantly worse than their American
counterparts. I'm sure there are counter examples and I'd love to see two
comparable sites that may illustrate the point.

Someone complained about top-down German design. Fair enough. But German
(industrial) design, for example, was the envy of the world not so long ago.
Similarly, the fact that Europeans largely missed our colossal dot.com
implosion may be viewed as either lagging or being smarter. A lot of the
stuff that were 'practiced' in the U.S. for the past three years in the name
of progress and cutting-edge leadership now look pretty silly.

Best,