[Sigia-l] IA Practice Maturation

PeterV peter at poorbuthappy.com
Thu Apr 18 11:20:46 EDT 2002

>Customizing documents to each particular stakeholder or group (clients,
>business users, GUI designers, developers, etc.) is good in theory but
>difficult in practice. Outside of using enterprise systems such as those
>offered by Rational Software, how do you manage multiple versions of
>multiple variations of multiple documents? Change control on the
>documentation alone could become a full-time job, even for small to
>medium-sized projects.

I use the magic words "This document overrides any previous documentation
that has been signed off.".

In my experience, I've not used multiple documents *simultaneously*. I tend
to do a detailed, yet non-techie spec for the client, and then a techie
tech spec for (yes) the techies (which the techies themselves do, with my
input). (Before all that there is often a high level agreement.)

There is some repetition in these documents, but it's more a question of
refinement, not repetition.

>  Of course, this doesn't answer the problem when one designer
>wants a lot of detail while another wants little.

That tended to be on separate projects anyway, so it was never a problem.
just knowing your designers, and which one is working on which projects.
PeterV
http://poorbuthappy.com/ease
http://petervandijck.net