[Sigia-l] IA Practice Maturation

Patrick Hunt patrick at strategux.com
Wed Apr 17 16:44:13 EDT 2002

Customizing documents to each particular stakeholder or group (clients,
business users, GUI designers, developers, etc.) is good in theory but
difficult in practice. Outside of using enterprise systems such as those
offered by Rational Software, how do you manage multiple versions of
multiple variations of multiple documents? Change control on the
documentation alone could become a full-time job, even for small to
medium-sized projects.

Taking cues from other list members' good work, I'd rather create different
levels of (mostly) non-repetitive documentation which I can use with
different user groups. For example, the conceptual model is at the highest
level and is least detailed, followed by the site map and storyboards at the
next level, and the wireframes, content inventories and other specs at the
most detailed. Of course, this doesn't answer the problem when one designer
wants a lot of detail while another wants little.

As an aside, I've recently encountered a situation in which the developers
use the term wireframe to describe "ugly HTML" that designers and IAs have
not yet touched. These wireframes are used for creating rough,
proof-of-concept prototypes of back-end functionality, or as frameworks for
the presentation layer.

Cheers,

Patrick