[Sigia-l] IA myths: conceptual model of navigation

Tanya Rabourn rabourn at columbia.edu
Fri Apr 12 13:09:33 EDT 2002

Anne Hjortshoj wrote:
> Hm. This discussion seems to point to page layout (interface design)
> becoming ever-more-important in the practice of IA (since presenting the
> user with the conceptual model of navigation may be less important than how
> it's presented).
>
> Which begs the question: will IAs be able to continue -without- addressing
> page layout/interaction design? Is anyone currently practicing IA without
> doing so?

I'm not so sure that it does. I think in at least specifying what items
should be grouped together on a page you are communicating to whomever is
doing your page layout that those items are related. Hopefully they can
take that and apply other gestalt principles of grouping -- proximity,
similarity of color, size, orientation, etc. in their graphic design.

It's good to know these principles even if you don't get to practice them.
Especially if your definition of IA includes user testing. On occasion,
when a user is having difficulties navigating a site, it certainly can be
that there's a problem with the application of any of these principles.

-Tanya
Tanya Rabourn <rabourn at columbia.edu>
[User Services Consultant]
AcIS R & D <www.columbia.edu/acis/rad>