[Sigmed-l] SIGMED issues around 2006 Austin conference

Catherine Arnott Smith casmith24 at wisc.edu
Wed Sep 20 16:27:31 EDT 2006

  Hello, interested SIGMed members; I am writing with a list of
information items and a few questions.

1. Date/time of business meeting in Austin: Dick Hill tells me that
Vicki Gregory will be getting out information about this in early
October. More on this as it develops. Do people have preferences on food
arrangements?

2. Business Meeting Agenda Items? Please let me know.

3. Advance Program Promotion: I’d like to get some promotional materials
out to various people about the SIG’s programming for Austin, and
particularly the Nov. 4 symposium.

The usual suspects for non-ASIST e-mailings are:

MLA
SLA
AMIA

I would really like to hear suggestions from you all about other ways to
publicize both the Saturday workshop, and the papers.

4. On-site Program and Activity Promotion: I am planning on pulling
together posters and mailing them to the hotel ahead of time. The
posters will advertise the following events with which we are associated:

**[Symposium] Interrogating the social realities of information and
communications systems (SIG/SI, DL, HFIS, MED)* Saturday November 4th
8:30 to 12:30

**Information Realities of HIV/AIDS Information in Sub-Saharan Africa:
Barriers and Challenges to Information Professionals, (III, USE, MED,
IFP, CRIT), Kendra Albright (moderator), Kingo Mohombu,Rosemary Kabugo,
Renee Schoombee, Modou Fall Sall * Wednesday, November 8, 8:30-10:30

And, finally, our Business Meeting, once that is scheduled. I am
intrigued by the medical papers turning up all over the place on this
program. Perhaps there are medically interested individuals who don’t
know that we are the SIG for them!

5. SIG Governance & Planning: I need members for a Nominating Committee.
Bylaws state there should be 2 of them. Volunteers?

6. Dutch Treat Dinner: Please alert me to your preferred dinner time and
dinner day while in Austin. I have to fly home on Tuesday the 7th
because of teaching and going off to AMIA immediately afterwards.(Is
anybody else attending AMIA?) But you all can certainly eat without me
if that’s what the majority wants to do J

Best wishes and looking forward to Austin,

--
Catherine Arnott Smith, PhD
Assistant Professor

***
The machine does not isolate us from the
great problems of nature but plunges us
more deeply into them.
--Antoine de Saint-Exupery

***