[Sighfis-l] Investigating the European origins of Information Science

IBEKWE-SANJUAN Fidelia fidelia.ibekwe-sanjuan at univ-amu.fr
Mon Nov 28 04:41:16 EST 2016

Dear all

I have been the lucky recipient of this year's ASIST History Research
Fund award for a research on a book project on "Information Science:
Origins, theories and paradigms. A Comparative approach"

This book which I will co-author with Thomas Dousa (PhD, iSchool of
Illinois, Champaign-Urbana) will be anenglish adaptation of a book I
write in French in 2012 on the origins of the French Information Science
(IS) but with a broader ans comparative scope. The first part of this
book will be dedicated to tracing the origins of IS in its modern sense,
as a discipline in the higher education system in Europe.

Some scholars attributed to Jean Meyriat (1981) the efforts of defining
the building blocks of French IS in the higher education system in the
1970s and especially of coining the term “/informatologie/”. However, it
appears that the term had already been in use in other parts of Europe
for the same purposes (Bozo Težak in Croatia in 1961 apparently borrowed
the term from Björn Tell in Sweden,..).

At the time when I wrote my French book in 2012, I could not investigate
this trail further in order to unearth the web of “term and concept
borrowings” which helped shape this higher education discipline. I would
now welcome the opportunity to further investigate how European pioneers
of IS may or may have not influenced each other in how they defined the
IS discipline “at home” and how this had influenced the paths taken by
IS in the different European countries. This, to my knowledge, is still
an uncharted ground.

Note that my investigation will not cover the already well covered
Briet, Otlet & Lafontaine period.

I'm solely interested in how the higher education programs in IS came
about in different european countries from the 1970s upwards.

I would be grateful for any help you can render me in uncovering:

1) Relevant archival materials (early articles written by pioneers in
your home country)

2) Resourceful people to interview who may have known some of the
founding figures of IS in your country or even those founding figures
themselves

3) If the resources available warrant it, I can make a trip to the
country to personally interview or access the materials

4) I have some small funds to cover travel expenses and translations of
materials that are not in english or french (the two languages I can
speak and read).

Tentatively, I have listed these countries as potential places where
such materials and resources could be found: Sweden, Denmark, Spain,
Croatia, Italy, Germany, Ireland but if other countries have interesting
materials, I'm of course willing to consider them. Ideally, I would like
to carry out this field work in the first quarter of 2017.

Finally, I'm very grateful to Special Interest Group on the History &
Foundations of Information Science (SIG HFIS) for awarding this grant to
me which will make this research possible
(https://www.asist.org/groups/history-foundations-of-information-science-hfis/).

Best regards

Fidelia Ibekwe-SanJuan (Ph.D.)
Full Professor (Professeur des Universités)
School of Journalism & Communication (EJCAM)
http://ejcam.univ-amu.fr/en
Aix-Marseille University - France.
Homepage: http://fidelia1.free.fr/
IRSIC research team: http://irsic.univ-amu.fr/Fidelia-IBEKWE-SANJUAN?lang=fr