[Sighfis-l] Call for HFIS panels - January 21st deadline!!!!

Joseph Tennis jtennis at u.washington.edu
Wed Jan 5 00:50:10 EST 2005

Hello all:

This is a general call for panel sessions for HFIS for ASIS&T Annual
Meeting 2005 in Charlotte, North Carolina.  Please forward and
distribute as you see fit.

I have included the description of panels, the deadline, and some
brainstorming ideas I have heard from the 2004 conference, and from
email.  Please let me know if you are interested in making these ideas
for others into submissions for sessions.  Also please let me know if
you any of you object to cosponsoring the Dervin panel below.  I hope
we can pull together a stellar program for 2005.

WHAT: Technical sessions and panels:

Technical sessions and panels present topics for discussion such as
cutting-edge research and design, analyses of hot or emerging trends,
opinions on controversial issues, reports by practitioners on current
information science and technology projects, and contrasting viewpoints
from experts in complementary professional areas. Innovative formats
that involve audience participation are encouraged. These may include
panels, debates, forums, or case studies. Submissions should be in the
form of a short paper (approximately two pages, no smaller than 10-pt.
font), providing an overview of the issues, projects, or viewpoints to
be discussed by the panel. Submissions must include title, sponsor(s),
and names and affiliations of all participants (moderator, speakers,
reactors, etc.). The final versions of these submissions will be
published in the digital conference proceedings. Additional materials,
e.g., Powerpoint slides or short papers by individual presenters, will
be published in the digital conference proceedings at the author’s
request.

WHEN: Deadlines for Technical Sessions and Panels is January 21st, 2005

HOW: just submit to me your ideas (title, abstract, and people),
contact info, and I'll do the rest to submit

IDEAS FOR PANELS (combinations of these and/or others?):

Louise Limberg: user paradigms
Bernd Frohman: Social constructivism
Mark A. Spasser: Activity theory
Olof Sundin: Neopragmatism % sociocultural theory
Archie Dick: Critical theory/political economy
Birger Hjørland: Epistemologies as (normative) theories of information
seeking and use

IDEAS FOR COSPONSORSHIPS:
Dervin, Fisher, Kulthau, Ross, and Savolainen

  TITLE:  Reports of the demise of the "user" have been greatly
exaggerated:  Sense-Making and the methodological resuscitation of the
user -- looking backwards, looking forward.

Day, 2003) pronounced the "death of the user" suggesting that the new
technologies undermine a concept that was already weak in its ability
to account for agency in information seeking and use. The purpose of
this proposed panel is to challenge that pronouncement by addressing
the issue of how methodological approaches have created users in
different manifestations --  emotional, cognitive, physical, and
social  -- elusive users and capricious, barely visible, dead or almost
so, overly demanding, disinterested, inattentive, individualistic,
materialistic, culture-bound, active, passive, alienated....  Panelists
will zero in on how they have used and struggled with Dervin's
Sense-Making Methodology in their attempts to conduct parsimonious,
heuristic, and useful user studies.  Starting with the seminal Dervin &
Nilan (1986) ARIST review of information seeking and use studies,
Dervin's Sense-Making has been often pointed to as sparking the turn
toward user-oriented studies of information seeking and use in LIS.
(cites)  Since 1986, the work has been much quoted and misquoted,
praised and criticized, implemented and co-opted.  This panel will look
backwards and forward using Sense-Making as an exemplar and foil for
consideration of issues relating to the ways the philosophies that
drive methodologies and the methods that implement them enlarge or
diminish our conceptions of the user.

PANELISTS:
Chair:  Brenda Dervin, School of Communication, Ohio State University,
Columbus, OH

SPEAKERS, PRESENTATION TITLES, BRIEF ABSTRACTS:  (tentative)

Brenda Dervin, Ohio State University
A beast with many arms:  How and why Sense-Making Methodology grew and
mutated
What is now known as Sense-Making Methodology appeared in emergent
forms in the early 1970s (cites) and was named as such in the 1980s
(cites).  Purpose of this presentation will be to review the approach's
history and impetus and the ways in which its twists and turns have
attempted to struggle as a "methodology between the cracks" with this
or that latest polarization of conceptions of the user.  Myths about
users are legion, e.g:  users are dead; they are very much alive and
want everything; they don't know what they want; most of them don't
want us.  Primary emphasis in this presentation will be placed on how
being explicitly methodological in user studies is not intended to
solve the problem of how to study users but rather is intended to
assist researchers in formulating research that advances our
understandings and helps us avoid the use of methods in ways which
create mythic users who do not exist creating instead as if seen
through tiny keyholes useful pictures of "real" users with whom
information systems can more meaningfully intersect.

Karen Fisher, University of Washington

Carol Kuhlthau, Rutgers University

Catherine Ross, University of Western Ontario

Reijo Savolainen, Uviversity of Tampere

All the best,
Joe Tennis
SLAIS