[Sighfis-l] Internet Invasion!

Shawne Miksa SMiksa at unt.edu
Wed Feb 4 09:05:31 EST 2004

Beth asks:
My professors claim that the creation of the Internet has
actually increased the need for librarians because we are
capable of accessing even more information now... However, I
am beginning to think that perhaps we are underestimating the
competency of the general public. It seems that most people
are finding the information that they need without even
stepping into a library.

Am I earning a degree for a profession that will soon be
extinct???
Absolutely not, I agree with your professor and I tell this to my students weekly.  Yes, the general public is becoming somewhat more saavy when it comes to searching for information on the Web.  But, the Internet and WWW are not the only places to find information. As librarians/information scientists/information professionals we have a wonderful opportunity to teach, to lead, and generally inform the "public" on ins and outs of using, not only the Internet, but the multitude of information resources.  By using, I mean finding, identifying, evaluating, and obtaining what they desire.  The need for this profession has increased, in my professional opinion.  The only question that remains is whether we in LIS will be proactive in this endeavor, i.e., break away from our traditional reactive response to this present environment. I look to you and your classmates throughout all the LIS programs to raise the bar of expectations.

Shawne D. Miksa, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
School of Library and Information Sciences
University of North Texas
office 940-565-3560
fax 940-565-3101