[Sigdl-l] Designing Usable Interfaces - April 10, 2007 - Cambridge, MA (NEASIS&T)

Caryn Anderson caryn.anderson at simmons.edu
Wed Mar 7 07:45:37 EST 2007

** Please excuse cross postings **

Designing Usable Interfaces: Three Expert Perspectives

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - Cambridge, MA

NEASIST (New England Chapter of the American Society for Information
Science & Technology)

http://www.neasist.org/pc/programs/20070410.html

Join us for an exploration of the critical issues in designing usable
web interfaces as we integrate three key approaches to user-focused
design:

- understand the contexts in which users actually live, work, and
search to design online environments that are meaningful and help
users meet their goals

- focus on how to reduce the intellectual labor required of users in
order to improve their satisfaction with web experiences

- leverage the psychological effects of color, pattern and other
visual cues to guide user behavior

Web visitors get smarter and more demanding every day. Designing
interfaces that are usable and keep our customers, patrons, and
community members engaged and satisfied with our services is not
easy. The New England Chapter of the American Society for Information
Science and Technology (NEASIST) invites you to another practical and
compelling program at the intersection of users, information and
technology.

Learn and discuss with top design experts:

Karen Holtzblatt
Co-author of Contextual Design: A Customer-Centered Approach to
Systems Designs
http://www.incent.com/
[Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/Contextual-Design-Customer-Centered-Interactive-Technologies/dp/1558604111/sr=1-1/qid=1172194854/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-5506154-7594266?ie=UTF8&s=books]

Steve Krug
Author of Don't Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web
Usability
http://www.sensible.com/
[Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Make-Me-Think-Usability/dp/0321344758/sr=1-1/qid=1172194906/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-5506154-7594266?ie=UTF8&s=books]

Jenifer Tidwell
Author of Designing Interfaces
http://designinginterfaces.com/
[Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Interfaces-Jenifer-Tidwell/dp/0596008031/sr=1-1/qid=1172194941/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-5506154-7594266?ie=UTF8&s=books]

Register Now: http://www.neasist.org/pc/programs/20070410.html

Lunch and refreshments included.

Caryn Anderson
Program Coordinator
PhD/Managerial Leadership in the Information Professions
GSLIS, Simmons College
300 The Fenway, P-204E
Boston, MA  02115
caryn.anderson at simmons.edu