[Sigdl-l] SIG-DL sessions at the Annual Meeting

Suzie Allard slalla0 at pop.uky.edu
Fri Oct 4 23:57:29 EDT 2002

Hello all!

Join the fun at the ASIST Annual Meeting (Nov 16 - Nov21)!

SIG-DL is sponsoring or co-sponsoring many sessions that will help you
answer important questions about digital library implementation and
operation. A special thanks to our partner SIGs (alphabetically listed) ED,
LAN, PUB, STI, USE

Below is a brief day-by-day overview of the SIG-DL schedule.

Please let me know if you will be attending one of these sessions and would
be willing to write a brief review that can be posted to our website for
members who cannot attend. We'd like to involve all our members in the
wonderful programs that have been coordinated by incoming SIG Chair, Pascal
Calarco.

regards,
Suzie Allard
SIG-DL Chair

***** brief SIG-DL schedule overview ****

Tuesday, Nov 19
1:30 pm  Open Sourcing the Digital Library: Tools & Infrastructure
**learn about the DL architecture, the importance of open source software,
success & challenges of using open source software

Wednesday, Nov 20
8:30 am E-Books Rebound
** learn about issues of access, OCLC & NetLibrary, Knovel - an online
engineering and scientific reference service, and the potential of e-books
in DLs

8:30 am  The Library of the Future: Interweaving the Virtual and the
Physical
** learn about the increasing use of e-materials, the implications of the
move to location-independent work, places and roles of common spaces,
future of how  faculty and students will use information resources, the
roles for librarians in the e-environment.

1:30 pm  Virtual Reference Services: Exploring the Open Source Options
** learn about virtual reference and how the experience of universities who
are using it.

1:30 pm  Foundations of Digital Libraries: Organizational & Management
Issues
** Learn about DSpace a project of MIT Libraries and Hewlett-Packard, the
Library of Virginia's DL, the American Memory Collection, and the Library of
Congress/Ameritech National Digital Library Competition

3:30 pm  Digital Libraries Supporting Distance Education
** Learn about standards for courseware repositories, interoperability
between courseware products and collaborative efforts to share courseware

Thursday, Nov 21
8:30 am  NSDL: The National Science, Mathematics, Engineering an Technology
Digital Library
**  Learn about NSDL's support of education from preK to undergraduate and
its commitment to lifelong learning, and about some of NSDL's exciting
projects

8:30 am  Media Asset Retrieval Systems
** Learn about media asset management's technologies and services, about
solutions to media asset challenges and how cooperation between several
groups is contributing to these solutions.