[Sigcr-l] SIG/CR Workshop 2010 - Theme Ideas

Hope A Olson holson at uwm.edu
Fri Oct 16 11:32:27 EDT 2009

The focus of Indigenous Knowledge Organization is the development of vocabularies, classifications, etc appropriate in terms of coverage, language, arrangement, and structure to Indigenous cultures as opposed to mainstream KO standards. They may or may not be folk taxonomies. They fit into the here and now of Indigenous cultures which have interfaces with the settler cultures that we think of as mainstream. The Ngā Ūpoko Tukutuku/Māori Subject Headings http://mshupoko.natlib.govt.nz/mshupoko is a good example of an attempt to develop a culturally viable option, but can also function in a mainstream context. It is one of the best established instances, but there are also many others and a strong interest internationally in developing this area.

Metadata schemata for Indigenous materials would be a related area of interest .

Does that help clarify?

Hope