[Neasis-l] Berkman Center Event on March 14: Opening Up to Open Access

beata_panagopoulos at Harvard.Edu beata_panagopoulos at Harvard.Edu
Thu Mar 8 13:55:35 EST 2007

The Berkman Center is holding another event in conjunction with the 2007
Internet & Society Conference. With the costs of academic journals as they
are, we are hosting this event to look at alternative means for journal
production and distribution. We would love for you to join us!

Guest: Gavin Yamey
Topic: Opening Up to Open Access: What can other disciplines learn from
the Sciences?
Date: Wednesday, March 14
Time: 7:30 pm

Location: Sever Hall Room 202

What can academics do to ensure that their research results are included
in the growing "knowledge commons?" Gavin Yamey MD, Senior Editor of PLoS
Medicine (www.plosmedicine.org) and Consulting Editor of PLoS Neglected
Tropical Diseases (www.plosntds.org), shares his experiences in the open
access movement and explores possible avenues for its expansion to other
fields, with a focus on the social sciences and humanities.

The Public Library of Science (www.plos.org), an international non-profit
grassroots movement of scientists and physicians, is working to change the
status quo by campaigning to make the biomedical literature a freely
available global public good. PLoS now publishes 7 open access journals,
and is urging traditional biomedical publishers to adopt more socially
responsive practices. Will other fields follow in their footsteps?