[MNASIS-L] Are you interested in the July 14th SLA Virtual Seminar"Exploring Alternative Careers"?

Janet M. Arth arth at tc.umn.edu
Thu Jun 24 17:43:17 EDT 2004

If you are interested in attending this seminar, please let Jim Tchobanoff
know by Thursday, July 1st.  Based on the level of interest, we will offer
the seminar at one or more locations.  Information about the seminar is at
the end of this note.

Anticipated costs are $10 for SLA/ASIST members and $15 for non-members.

Once we know the level of interest and availability of meeting facilities,
a second note will be sent out with registration information.

Jim Tchobanoff
jtchobanoff at bigfoot.com

July  2004 Career Development Seminar

Exploring Alternative Careers

Wednesday, July 14, 2004
1:00 pm - 2:30 pm CT

Linda W. Braun is a principal in LEO: Librarians and Educators Online. She
provides consulting, training, evaluation, and strategic planning services
to libraries in profit and non-profit settings. Much of her work is in
managing information related projects for organizations. This includes
managing planning and implementation projects, designing and developing web
content, and creating and implementing online learning experiences.

Description
In the 21st century being a librarian does not necessarily mean working
inside a space called a library. Librarians are using their skills as
library information professionals in a variety of roles within
organizations and as independent consultants and trainers. Perhaps you are
at a time in your career where you are thinking you would like to try one
of the "out-of-the" box careers that other librarians have jumped into.
But, you might not be sure how to get started in making the transition.
This conference will give you the information you need as you begin the
process.

The seminar will answer the following questions:
    * How do I market my skills as a library information professional in
new and unique ways?
    * For what job titles and descriptions are my library information
skills best suited?
    * What are some examples of how other library information professionals
are using a library degree?
    * What steps you should take to guarantee success in order to take on a
new role outside of the traditional library professional box?