[Asis-standards] ISO new work item

Mark Needleman MNeedleman at flvc.org
Tue Oct 13 13:09:53 EDT 2015

Folks

I just read the proposed new work item to develop a standard

New work item proposal: Emergency preparedness and response for cultural heritage

its supposed to be based on ISO 11799 which is the ISO standard which is the standard for storage of library and archive materials

That standard has such generic statements like:

Where automatic fire extinguishing systems are used, they shall be regularly inspected and maintained. They
shall be designed to minimize damage to archive and library materials from fire and fire-suppression action.

(like someone is going to install a fire extinguishing system and not maintain it or allow it do damage to the material in the storage facility)

or

A monitored intruder-alarm system should be provided.

(maybe they assume that without this piece of wisdom the designers will design the storage facility with no locks on the doors)

or

The repository, its air-handling systems and the items stored shall be cleaned regularly. Cleaning agents shall
not be harmful to the materials stored

( I assume they are afraid that without statements like this the staff of the repository will use things like lye to clean the archived material)

If the standard for cultural heritage material is going to be anything like that - my gut feeling is to vote NO - its not really a standard but a series of common sense recommendations that are so obvious they hardly need being said and certainly arent what I would consider needed in an standard - this whole effort looks to me like another ISO boondoggle of a working group

We have to vote on this  by 11/4 - so any comments prople have would be appreciated - I believe I sent out copies of the relevant documents pertaining to this - but if anyone needs copies just let me know

mark

P.S. We also have to vote on

NISO Z39.96-201x, JATS: Journal Article Tag Suite (1.1)

by 10/18