[Asis-standards] upcoming votes

Thornburg,Gail thornbug at oclc.org
Wed Dec 30 18:19:58 EST 2015

1) I do not have an opinion
2) think we should Re affirm
From: Asis-standards [asis-standards-bounces at asis.org] on behalf of Mark Needleman [needleman_mark at yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 4:20 PM
To: ASIST Standards Committee
Subject: [Asis-standards] upcoming votes

Folks

some upcoming votes - sorry about the short timeframe on some of them - ill be sending these out in 2 emails

mark

1) New Work Item Proposal ISO 18461 key indicators for museums

his is a TC46/SC8 new work item proposal to develop a new standard Key indicators for museums” .

An International Standard “Key indicators for museums” is planned as follow-up to ISO 18461"Information and documentation - International museum statistics". It aims at offering a broad selection of tested indicators for evaluating the performance of museums of all types and subjects.

The measures described in the Standard should be adequate for use in the internal management, for reporting to stakeholders and, with care, for comparison between museums of similar tasks and structure.

If the US votes to approve this as a new project, we are expected to name at least one expert who will work on this standard's development. If you would like to nominate someone, please include the name and contact information in your comments, we are now also required to provide particular information when adding Experts to working groups: The Expert’s full name and e-mail address, a salutation (Dr., Ms., etc.) as well as one of the following Stakeholder Categories:

Industry and Commerce
Government
Consumers
Labour
Academic and Research Bodies
Standards Application
Non-governmental Organization (NGO)

Please obtain that person's agreement in advance to work on this project.

We are also required to provide a justification statement for why we think this is or is not a worthwhile/useful project (depending on whether we vote yes or no). Please provide such a statement in the comments for your Affirmative or Negative vote. Consider whether you think this standard will be used in the U.S.

Your voting options are:

YES - approve this as a new project (comments required on justification statement; nominate expert(s) if you have one; comments on the working draft are encouraged but optional)

NO - do not approve this as a new project (comments required on why)

ABSTAIN from voting (comments optional)

Comments due by 1/5/2016 - if you have an suggestions for someone who you think should work on this let me know

2) ANSI/NISO Z39.2-1994 (R2009) Information Interchange Format

This ballot is for the periodic review of the published standard ANSI/NISO Z39.2-1994 (R2009) Information Interchange Format. This standard was last reviewed and reaffirmed in 2009. A copy of the Z39.2 standard is available for download from the ballot webpage or the link in the announcement email.

In accordance with NISO procedures, all review ballots are accompanied by a recommendation from the responsible leadership committee. NISO's Content and Collection Management Topic Committee recommends a vote to REAFFIRM the standard.

As a member of the voting pool, you are required to vote on this ballot (one vote per organization). Please cast your ballot with one of the following voting options:

YES - Approve the Reaffirmation of the standard (comments optional)

NO - Do not approve the Reaffirmation of the standard (comments required)

ABSTAIN from voting (comments are required since members of the voting pool volunteered to join, so an abstention vote requires explanation)

Notes:
As described in its Foreword, ANSI/NISO Z39.2 is a standard critical to the implementation of automation for storing, transferring, and retrieving bibliographic information, but its original purpose was to define a format for the interchange of bibliographic records on magnetic tape. It now supports many types of data and may be used by different types of media but remains very specific in its application.

After full discussion on this topic, NISO's Content and Collection Management Topic Committee (CCM) believes that developments in the fields of linked data and related areas will warrant future standardization in information interchange to define similar and related functions to those described in Z39.2, but that current efforts are not yet sufficient to require a revision (or re-creation).

In addition, CCM believes that future standardization of activities in this area will require a "ground up" effort rather than the application of incremental changes to the Z39.2 standard, whose very specific definitions and format it believes could not be modified very well to fit the practical application of data sharing required by more modern libraries and information centers.

ISO 2709:2008 covers much of the same area of Z39.2. Reaffirmation would allow Z39.2 to remain available for any updates should ISO 2709 undergo any major revision.

Comments due by 1/6/2016 - note u think we should reaffirm this

3) New Work Item Proposal ISO /TR 28118 Quality assessment for national libraries

his is a TC46/SC8 new work item proposal to develop a new standard "Quality assessment for national libraries”.

The proposed Technical Report “Quality assessment for national libraries” shall cover two purposes:
- to revise and enlarge the collection of performance indicators in ISO/TR 28118 (2009)
“Performance indicators for national libraries”,
- to define and describe methods for assessing and measuring the impact of national libraries and their services.

[...]

Comments due by 1/7/2016 -  if you have an suggestions for someone who you think should work on this let me know