[Asis-standards] ISO ILL

Thornburg,Gail thornbug at oclc.org
Thu May 23 10:05:09 EDT 2013

We should in my opinion vote CONFIRM

-----Original Message-----
From: asis-standards-bounces at asis.org
[mailto:asis-standards-bounces at asis.org] On Behalf Of Mark Needleman
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2013 8:25 AM
To: asis-standards at asis.org
Subject: [Asis-standards] ISO ILL

I may have forgotten to send this out - we need to vote on

  Systematic Review ISO 10160 and 10161-1 and -2, Information and
documentation -- Open Systems Interconnection -- Interlibrary Loan
Application Protocol Specification

ISO 10160:1997, Interlibrary Loan Application Service Definition

ISO 10161-1:1997, Interlibrary Loan Application Protocol Specification
-- Part 1: Protocol specification [Note: There is also an Amendment to
this standard.]

ISO 10161-2:1997, Interlibrary Loan Application Protocol Specification
-- Part 2: Protocol implementation conformance statement (PICS) proforma

The future of this standard has been discussed by TC46/SC4 at both their
2011 and 2012 meetings. Following these discussions, a resolution was
passed to "invite Danish Standards to prepare a NWIP [new work item
proposal] in cooperation with other interested parties for a new ILL
standard." This proposal was forthcoming, based on discussions with
representatives from USA, Canada, UK, Denmark, Finland, New Zealand,
Japan, and Australia, and was presented in a ballot that ends on
February 3, 2013. The proposal is expected to be approved and the new
standard is intended to replace this current set of standards.

However, since the development of the proposed new standard and its
subsequent implementations are expected to take several years, the
committee has recommended that this existing ILL standard remain active
in the interim. For this reason, it is recommended that you vote to
CONFIRM this standard.

I recommend we vote CONFIRM on this to keep the standard active while
the new standard is being developed

Disclosure - I am a member of the ISO committee working on the new
standard

I need a recommendation for a vote by 6/2/2013 - There are a bunch of
documents associated with this standard - I havent included them but if
anyone wants them just let me know

marj