[Asis-standards] Upcoming Votes

Baden Hughes baden.hughes at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 19:54:19 EDT 2013

Hi all

1)  Approval of Proposed New Work Item: Develop a Recommended Practice for
Exchanging Serial (Periodical) Content

> This group will create a NISO Recommended Practice to describe a packaging
> specification to be used for exchange and archiving of serial publications.
>
> comments and a recommendation for a vote needed by June 11

I think we should vote for this work to proceed. Its definitely a space in
which standardisation would bring operational improvements across the board.

> 2) ISO/DIS 25577, Information and documentation — MarcXchange
>
> This is a ballot to approve the TC46/SC4 standard ISO/DIS 25577,
> Information and documentation — MarcXchange, for publication.
>
> comments and a recommendation for a vote  needed by June 20

I think we should vote yes to approve this. My only editorial comment is
that in the foreword:

"This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition."

It could be useful for the non expert reader to see this slightly extended
to say:

"This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition. Valid first
first edition records will be compliant with the second edition of the
standard." (ie if you grok this in detail its obvious, but its never
actually stated anywhere that first edition records will be valid second
edition records).

Baden