[Asis-standards] ISO ILL vote

Mark Needleman mneedlem at ufl.edu
Sun Apr 28 14:53:24 EDT 2013

Folks

Based on a recommendation from Gail Thornburg I just voted yes on

ISO/CD 18626, Information and documentation -- Interlibrary Loan Transactions

with the following comments:

Since this is a document under active development ASIST votes YES at this stage. However there are many things in the document that need to be fleshed out, issues that need to be considered, and vague language that needs to be cleared up before we believe this is ready for standardization.

There are also some complexities of the ILL process that the document does not currently address that we believe need to be considered before this can advance to standardization. Among them are

1) stages of the ILL process beyond the initial request that the document does not currently  consider or deal with

2) authentication issues of both the borrower and lending agencies

Comments provided by Mark Needleman - Recommendation for YES vote provided by Gail Thornburg

If anyone disagrees with these comments or believes they justify a NO vote we have until 4/29 at midnight to change our voter comments

as I mentioned Im a member of the ISO committee developing this standard. So the comments do reflect my personal view point. I could see a NO vote based on them (if people agree) but since the document is under active development a YES vote could be justified at this stage of its development

Thoughts?

Mark