[Asis-l] Ceasing publication of ARIST

Richard Hill rhill at asis.org
Thu Apr 1 09:48:31 EDT 2010

[Another longish post.  Dick Hill]

Neither the Task Force nor the Board questions the value and quality of
ARIST and ARIST reviews.

The central presumption and objection below seems to be that we will stop
publishing review articles, when that is emphatically not the case.   The
format and the venue will change, but not the commitment to publishing
review articles.

Authors objected to the long lag time between first conception and
appearance in print, and to the delay in seeing their work appear online.
Publishing the reviews in JASIST, with the greatly improved posting and
print schedule resolves that. Online, the reviews will be available to more
people, and sooner.

With Wiley Blackwell we can also make reviews into what is called a "virtual
issue."  These issues will collect related articles from multiple issues and
present them on a special web page with full functionality.  So in essence,
there you have the electronic review articles collected into one place.

Finances were not the driving force in the ARIST decision.  Steadily
declining sales led to some questions about the perceived value of the
publication in its current format, but financial concerns were not the
deciding factor.

However, a publication like ARIST has significant editorial costs.  These
are not eliminated when a publication goes electronic. If memory serves,
King and Tenopir several years ago estimated e-publication saved around 15%
for journals, and ARIST has higher fixed costs than a journal.  We sent the
publishing RFP, with full information on ARIST, to publishers and none
proposed a way to make ARIST work as a stand-alone publication, whether
print or electronic only.

We have been putting ARIST in the Digital Library (with a 2 year delay to
protect sales). Viewing and download statistics are not close to JASIST
articles, while above Bulletin and Proceedings.  We had hoped that online
access would stimulate print sales and readership, but that does not appear
to have happened.

The driving forces in the decision were what knowledgeable leaders as the
current and future directions of scholarly communication, publishing, the
desires of authors, and our intent make available quality reviews to a wider
circle of readers.

_____
Richard B. Hill
Executive Director
American Society for Information Science and Technology
1320 Fenwick Lane, Suite 510
Silver Spring, MD  20910
Fax: (301) 495-0810