[Asis-l] Roy, UT-Austin, Receives Tocker Foundation Grant

Mary Lynn Rice-Lively marylynn at gslis.utexas.edu
Sun May 5 17:54:13 EDT 2002

Apologies for cross-postings.

The Graduate School of Library and Information Science at the University of
Texas at Austin is pleased to announce that Dr. Loriene Roy has been awarded
a $100,000 grant from the Tocker Foundation (http://www.tocker.org/) to
support, "If I Can Read, I Can Do Anything." The research program promotes
reading at schools on or near reservations through building library
collections and organizing reading promotion events. Twelve schools in seven
states are currently participating in the project; new schools are added
each August. Results to date indicate noticeable improvements in literacy
scores for participating children.

Professor Loriene Roy reports "We are honored to receive additional support
from the Tocker Foundation. This funding will enable us to expand the
program to include other schools serving Native children. Children who can
read well will be their community's future leaders."

Dean Andrew Dillon expressed his delight with the award and noted that
Professor Roy's work  is 'clear evidence of the tremendous social value that
the School's research can yield'.

For further information contact: Professor Loriene Roy at (512) 471-3959,
e-mail: loriene at gslis.utexas.edu. Or, visit the project Web site at
http://www.gslis.utexas.edu/~ifican.
Mary Lynn Rice-Lively
Assistant Dean for Information Technology
GSLIS
UT at Austin
512-471-2371
512-471-3971 fax