[Students-l] Fwd: [Asis-l] Opportunity: 2016 Summer Internship at IBM Research - Almaden

Michel Menou michel.menou at orange.fr
Thu Feb 18 05:09:00 EST 2016

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[Asis-l] Opportunity: 2016 Summer Internship at IBM Research -
Almaden
Date: 	Tue, 16 Feb 2016 19:15:25 +0000 (UTC)
From: 	Laura Challman Anderson <laura_c_anderson at yahoo.com>
To: 	asis-l at asis.org <asis-l at asis.org>

We are looking for talented students who are interested in applying for
this competitive position to join our project for the summer.  We are
studying science teams through the lens of interaction and activity to
better understand the pace and cadence of scientific projects.  (More
specifically, we've been using trace data in the forms of email, meeting
transcripts, and wiki/team room artifacts to examine social interaction
and conversational topics and themes for patterns over time.)

Full posting:
  https://krb-sjobs.brassring.com/TGWebHost/jobdetails.aspx?partnerid=26059&siteid=5016&AReq=29486BR

has an opening for a Summer Intern.  The focus of the research is the
use of qualitative and quantitative data to gain insight into team
interaction and project patterns to then proactively support individual
and team work.  We apply in-depth analysis of structured and
unstructured digital trace data, information sharing, and work practices
to explore the temporal and interactional evolution of research and
discovery practices.
Candidates must possess in-depth problem solving skills with an ability
to analyze work and business practices from both micro and macro
perspectives, as well as the ability to identify and prototype new
solutions.  Preference will be given to those with experience
researching and analyzing scientific communication, collaboration, and
information sharing.  Highly desirable skills include network analysis,
basic programming, rapid prototyping, ethnographic methods, and
experience with one or more aspects of data handling (curation,
wrangling, mining, analysis, or visualization).  One or more
publications is expected from the internship work.
Required:
Programming: basic knowledge
Statistical analysis (e.g.,  using R, SPSS): 1 year
Network analysis (e.g., using Gephi): 1 year
Lexical analysis (e.g., using Leximancer, System T): 1 year
Altmetrics (e.g., citation impact metrics, scientometrics): 6 months
Preferred:
Python: applied knowledge
Social phenomena analysis: applied
Regards, Laura

Laura Challman Anderson PhD
Team Science Researcher
Accelerated Discovery Lab, IBM Research - Almaden