[Students-l] Announcing 2015 ASIST Student Chapter Awards

Alemneh, Daniel Daniel.Alemneh at unt.edu
Fri Sep 11 18:13:00 EDT 2015

Dear ASIST students and advisors,

The Jury for the 2015 ASIST Student Chapter Award worked very hard to review the submitted reports/nominations and provide their comments. Based on jury's comments, scores, and deliberations, we are happy to announce the following awards for this year.

*         Student Chapter-of-the-Year:
We are pleased to announce that the San Jose State University Student Chapter (SJSU ASIS&T) is the 2015 winner of the ASIS&T Student Chapter of the Year Award. In selecting SJSU ASIS&T for the award, the jury considered the chapter's membership, activities, communications, financial and administrative management, and contributions to ASIS&T and the broader IS community. An online, virtual chapter, SJSU held a total of 15 meetings and 18 events with 29 speakers, including 8 cooperative ventures with other ASIS&T and iSchool organizations (out of 14 eligible events). A 35% increase in membership, increased event attendance, and community engagement were driven through social media, SJSU YouTube, and the new ScholarWorks repositories. Administratively, new Bylaws and enhancements to chapter management helped drive growth. SJSU members actively supported the Association through SIG leadership, social media contributions, and task force support. As of June 2015, SJSU reported the highest number of current ASIS&T student members in the chapter's 4-year history-84-, including 3 ASIS&T New Leader Award winners in the past 2 years. SJSU developed the #HUGASIG campaign that was distributed around ASIS&T this year-now we can give them a congratulatory hug!
Please join us in congratulating SJSU ASIS&T!

*         Chapter Growth Awards:
The ASIS&T Student Chapter Membership Competition fosters student engagement in ASIS&T by encouraging student chapters to recruit more members. The award is based on student chapter membership growth over the last year. We are pleased to announce the 2015 Membership Competition winners:

1.       Pratt Institute Student Chapter  (ASIS&T at Pratt )- 117% Growth -  (Three Annual Meeting free student registrations)

2.       University of Denver Student Chapter - 80% Growth - (Two Annual Meeting free student registrations)

3.       University at Albany Student Chapter of ASIS&T (UAlbany ASIS&T) -  50% Growth - (One Annual Meeting free student registration)

Please join us in congratulating these Student Chapters for their innovative use of programs, social activities, social media, and hard work to increase their memberships this year!
By the way, if your student chapter did not submit a report in July, you need to do it now - the deadline is Oct. 30.
We hope to see you all at the ASIST conference in St Louis. We will post more details on student party.
Sincerely,
Daniel Gelaw Alemneh, University of North Texas
Karen Miller, University of South Carolina.

Daniel Gelaw Alemneh, Ph.D.
Digital Curation Coordinator, UNT Digital Libraries
Adjunct Professor, College of Information
University of North Texas
Willis Library # 322, Denton, TX 76203
Daniel.Alemneh at unt.edu<mailto:Daniel.Alemneh at unt.edu>
940-891-6703