[Students-l] Update

Candy Schwartz candy.schwartz at simmons.edu
Mon Jun 12 12:53:55 EDT 2006

Hi all -

My name is Candy Schwartz, and I am the representative for
student chapters on the ASIST Chapter Assembly. I have just sent
the following to the ASIST student chapter advisors, and I am now
copying all of you student members. Please look it over. If you
know the current advisor, could you please make sure that he or
she got this. If your chapter doesn't seem to have an advisor,
please let me know.

 If you know other student members and they didn't get this
message, then let me know - we need to be sure that we can reach
our student members. You do not actually have to be a student
member of ASIST to join this list, though you should be a student
(yeah, yeah, I know - we are all students of life, but you know
what I mean). Anyone can join by going to
http://mail.asis.org/mailman/listinfo/students-l

------- sent to ASIST student chapter advisors, June 12, 2006
----------

For a variety of reasons, I am running very late in sending out
this reminder about your student chapter's annual report.
Although the deadline is past, in fact the person in charge of
looking at these is me, so I am just going to ask you to have
your reports in by July 1st. You can find more information on the
report at
http://www.asis.org/awards/studentchapteroftheyear.html. Also,
you can get membership lists for your chapter from ASIST
headquarters - contact Vanessa Foss, Membership Services Manager,
vfoss at asis.org

Please submit your report electronically, at
http://www.softconf.com/asist/StudChapYear/submit.html

The report also serves as the chapter's nomination for student
chapter of the year, but please don't let that stop you from
filing a report. Failing all else, just throw a Word document
into the submission area, letting me know what you have been
doing for the past year.

I have spent some time trying to revise the list of advisors. If
you are not the current advisor, could you please pass this on to
the current advisor, and let me know who that is. If your chapter
doesn't have an advisor, please also let me know.

Please also take the time to review the information at
http://www.asis.org/Chapters/chapters-student.html for accuracy.
I have just now sent a list of updates to ASIST, but they might
take a while, so there are some known errors - for example, if
you got this message, then your name will appear as the advisor
once the updates have been made, even if it is not there now. One
thing I can tell you is that the links to "School" will go to the
school and not to the university, once the updates have been
made.

We will have an advisors' meeting at the annual conference in
Austin, and students are more than welcome. There will also be a
party for students only - announcements will be sent to student
members shortly before the meeting.

Finally, I expect there to be some interesting changes in ASIST
services to students prior to the annual conference. We are
trying to find methods to encourage student participation and
activity in a variety of ways, not just through student chapters.

Thanks, and stay tuned,

Candy
Candy Schwartz
Professor & Coordinator of Doctoral Studies
Library & Information Science, Simmons College
300 The Fenway, Boston, MA 02115-5898, USA
Skype: candyschwartz
candy.schwartz at simmons.edu
http://web.simmons.edu/~schwartz/