[Sigvis-l] 2017 Virtual Symposium and Student Research Award

Jeremy McLaughlin j_ru at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 31 15:56:16 EDT 2016

The theme in 2017 is The Information and the Technology of Open Humanities.

Please help us promote the event and the Award to colleagues and students. If you have an idea for a speaker or topic, or if you would like to present at the Symposium, please email me directly.

We look forward to "seeing" you in April!

Thanks,
Jeremy

2017 Virtual Symposium on Information and Technology in the Arts and Humanities

The Information and the Technology of Open Humanities
April 18 & 19, 2017                       12-4:30pm ET/9-1:30PM PT

http://bit.ly/VISitAH17

The theme for the 2017 Symposium is The Information and the Technology of Open Humanities. Digital technology has had a profound impact on scientific and scholarly communication. This includes fundamental changes to how individuals and groups find information, carry out collaborative projects, and publish, assess, and preserve growing amounts of content. In the sciences, the idea of open research processes and dissemination is inherent in changing research practices; but how are the concepts related to Open Science applied to research in, and about, disciplines in the Humanities?

Potential speakers will discuss research using open humanities-related content and on topics including:

Open information retrieval
Collaborative research methods
Digital publishing
Open access
Data curation and sharing
Linked data/linked open data
Social media or Web 2.0
Open Source technology
Research assessment

Additional details, including scheduled speakers and access information, will be made available in early 2017. Please check this site or RSVP for updates.

RSVP - http://bit.ly/RSVP17Symp

In conjunction with the Virtual Symposium, we are proud to once again sponsor a Student Research Award in 2017. SIG AH and SIG VIS are seeking previously unpublished research for a Master's and a PhD Student Research Award related to the theme of Open Humanities. Full details can be found on the 2017 Student Research Award page.

http://bit.ly/CfSP17