[Sigvis-l] SIG VIS activities in 2015

Krystyna Matusiak Krystyna.Matusiak at du.edu
Fri Jan 9 15:25:25 EST 2015

Dear SIG VIS members,
I’d like to take this opportunity to introduce myself and invite you to participate in SIG VIS activities in 2015. My name is Krystyna Matusiak and I’m a current chair of SIG VIS. I’m currently Assistant Professor in the Library & Information Science Program at the University of Denver. Prior to that I worked as Digital Collections Librarian at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee-Libraries where I had an opportunity to work with outstanding historical image collections and conduct research on image description and use.

In my position as a SIG VIS chair I’d like to collaborate with the group members on planning our presence at the ASIST Annual Meeting and updating the SIG VIS website.

In regard to the ASIST Annual Meeting, I’m working with SIG AH (Arts and Humanities) and SIG DL (Digital Libraries) on student paper competitions, but I’d also like to plan submitting a panel proposal to highlight faculty current research in image and audiovisual resources. At this point, I’d like to invite interested members to submit ideas for a panel. Please e-mail me topics that you would like to see explored in the ASIST panel and/or if you have current research that you would like to present. Hopefully, after initial brainstorming we can group ideas, perhaps plan a conference call, and come up with a coherent panel proposal.

We would also like to take advantage of the re-design of the ASIST website and update the SIG VIS site. I’d appreciate your feedback on the current content as well as new ideas for site. I’m hoping that the site would have useful content that is relevant to the current and future members. I was thinking about creating a section with a bibliography of publications related to visual research. SIG VIS members could self-submit citations with links to full-text if available in open access.  The bibliography could serve not only as a point of access to visual research, but also promote the members' research activities. Please let me know your thoughts about this project. It would be a collaborative effort requiring group members to submit citations.

I’d appreciate your comments and feedback. Please e-mail me your ideas and comments [krystyna.matusiak at du.edu<mailto:krystyna.matusiak at du.edu>]. I’m looking forward to working with all of you.
Best,
Krystyna

Krystyna K. Matusiak | Assistant Professor
Library and Information Science Program
Morgridge College of Education | University of Denver
1999 East Evans Avenue | Denver, CO 80208-1700
303.871.6163<mailto:303.871.6163> | krystyna.matusiak at du.edu<mailto:krystyna.matusiak at du.edu>