[Sigvis-l] SIGVIS Call for Participation

Chris Landbeck clandbeck at fsu.edu
Wed Dec 19 08:40:55 EST 2007

Colleagues,

SIGVIS is issuing a Call for Participation for next year's ASIS&T
conference, October 24-29, in Columbus, OH, for which the theme will be
"People Transforming Information – Information Transforming People".
Specific to SIGVIS, we are seeking research on any of the following topics:

·        The societal archive – is it disappearing and/or being
marginalized?

·        Cognitive and emotional aspects of interactions with information

·        The effect of collective information creation on authority and
trust

·        Information by the people, for the people

·        The role of information in connecting people and community-building

Contributions can be in either of two forms. Posters should be about nascent
research, best practices, or practical implementation of IS principles and
research. Students especially are being sought for participation in the
poster sessions; it is a good way to promote both yourself and your research
agenda to potential collaborators and future employers. While SIGVIS does
not sponsor posters per se, we do feel that if we can help spread the word
about what ASIS&T is looking for, we should do so.

Panels should present ideas for discussion or to report on current research
efforts. We are being encouraged by ASIS&T to make the panels more of an
exchange with the audience, as some panels in Milwaukee seemed to be no
different than paper presentations. Toward this end, we are trying to
coordinate submissions both within SIGVIS and in relation to other SIGs,
particularly SIGCR (Classification Research), SIGDL (Digital Libraries), and
SIGED (Education for Information Science), so that we might produce
something more along the lines of a question-and-answer session rather than
lectures. The sooner the panel knows what the individual messages will be,
the sooner and better they can identify areas for potential questions, gaps
in the research presented, and ways to get the questions flowing.

We would very much like to have two or more SIGVIS sessions in Columbus
along with any collaborative efforts with other SIGs. If we find we have
three or more sets of related research, then we will ask to have a session
to ourselves in the conference that speaks to our own interests. If we find
that the submissions are more diverse, then we will seek out other SIGs with
similar interests in a given subject and ask if we might work together. We
are not seeking a pre-conference session at this time, but if the
opportunity arises, we may seek to take advantage of it.

The ASIS&T CFP, including submission guidelines, can be found at:

           http://www.asis.org/Conferences/AM08/AM08_cfp.doc

We hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

Dr. Diane Neal                         Chris Landbeck

Chair, SIGVIS                           Vice-Chair, SIGVIS