[Sigvis-l] INFORMATION VISUALIZATION FOR DIGITAL GOVERNMENT: ENVISIONING STATISTICAL KNOWLEDGE NETWORKS

Richard Hill rhill at asis.org
Tue Mar 9 15:23:53 EST 2004

[Forwarded for Ben Shneiderman < ben at cs.umd.edu> because of html formatting
and attachments.  Dick Hill]

Dear colleagues,

  I hope you could help us get out the news about our upcoming course (see
below and attached file). Our goal is to show the opportunities for
visualization tools to be applied to government statistical data sets. We
will also introduce the notions of the Statistical Knowledge Network.

   Please encourage your colleagues to attend by sending this around to your
email lists.  Thanks... Ben Shneiderman

INFORMATION VISUALIZATION FOR DIGITAL GOVERNMENT:
ENVISIONING STATISTICAL KNOWLEDGE NETWORKS
A one-day short course sponsored by the Joint Program in Survey Methodology

http://projects.isr.umich.edu/jpsm/materials/2004-0414.html

APRIL 14, 2004
Presented at the Hyatt Regency Bethesda, Bethesda, Maryland

BEN SHNEIDERMAN & CATHERINE PLAISANT
(ben at cs.umd.edu)  ;  (plaisant at cs.umd.edu)
Human-Computer Interaction Laboratory
University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742 USA

COURSE OVERVIEW: Information visualization has rapidly emerged as a potent
technology to support human decision making. The latest generation of visual
data mining tools and animated GUIs take advantage of human perceptual
skills to produce striking results. This tutorial will show examples of
successful uses of information visualization technology, plus recent
research breakthroughs and hints of what's to come.  Our emphasis will be on
examples of government statistical data sets and we will highlight the
challenges of providing universally usable interface designs.

Information visualization techniques empower users to perceive important
patterns in large data sets, identify areas that need further scrutiny, and
make sophisticated decisions. But looking at information is only a start.
Users also need to manipulate and explore the data, using real-time tools to
zoom, filter, and relate the information - and undo if they make a mistake.

Information visualization tools can aid in any situation that's
characterized by large amounts of multi-dimensional or rapidly changing
data, e.g. demographic trends, economic data analysis, health statistics,
homeland security.  The lectures are enhanced by a large number of live
demonstrations, and with time for question asking and discussion.

TARGET AUDIENCE: Information professionals who must manage, present,
interpret, and explore vital databases.  Designers of advanced tools for
decision support and business intelligence.

COURSE MATERIALS: JPSM group lunches and refreshments are included.
Registrants will receive the book The Craft of Information Visualization:
Readings and Reflections, and detailed course notes.

FEES:  The registration fee for staff at sponsoring agencies and affiliates
is $400, $400 for full-time university students, and $535 for other
participants. Payment by credit card is required. Post registration payment
may be done online using the student's confirmation number. Payment is
required by March 30, 2004.
http://projects.isr.umich.edu/jpsm/sponsorlist.cfm .

REGISTRATION: Online registration is required. JPSM Home Page:
http://www.jpsm.org.
INQUIRIES: Questions for this course should be directed to the JPSM Short
Course, Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan, 426 Thompson
Street, Room 4050, Ann Arbor, MI 48106-1248, Phone: (800) 937-9320, Fax:
(734) 764-8263, Email: jpsmshort at isr.umich.edu

Richard Hill
Executive Director
American Society for Information Science and Technology
1320 Fenwick Lane, Silver Spring, MD  20910
FAX: (301) 495-0810
Voice: (301) 495-0900
www.asis.org