[Siguse-l] ASIS&T's "Meet the Author" Series Presents Dr. Robert Epstein

O'Brien, Heather h.obrien at ubc.ca
Tue Jul 12 22:04:54 EDT 2016

Of possible interest to SIG USE members...

Dr. Heather O'Brien
Associate Professor
The iSchool, University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC
h.obrien at ubc.ca
http://faculty.arts.ubc.ca/hobrien/

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/de58424ef2e609298efbb4a00/images/092c6a41-a2f4-4647-b2ad-d96fa851aecf.jpg]

ASIS&T’s New “Meet the Author” Series:
Premiering July 21st  2016 with Popular Google Critic
Dr. Robert Epstein

 Come meet Dr. Epstein and have a live discussion about how Google Search could be the 21st century New Mind Control.

REGISTER HERE<http://asist.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=de58424ef2e609298efbb4a00&id=81a65f35a8&e=a26ab14515> Jul 21, 2016 at 2:00 PM EDT.

FREE for ASIS&T members; $15 for non-members

The Outreach and Engagement Task Force is pleased to announce the launch of the “Meet the Author” series where ASIS&T members and non-members can engage and debate with the provocative ideas and scholars in our field.

To inaugurate this series, we are fortunate to be joined by Dr. Robert Epstein, Harvard-trained psychologist, award-winning author, and popular media figure with guest appearances and coverage on Larry King, CNBC, and Vice, to discuss how Google Search can have the power to influence how you think, feel, and behave.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/de58424ef2e609298efbb4a00/images/248f2d3d-6abf-4b3b-a96f-cd79c67372dc.jpg]
Dr. Robert Epstein<http://asist.us12.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=de58424ef2e609298efbb4a00&id=0b53136452&e=a26ab14515>, Senior Research Psychologist at the American Institute for Behavioral Research and Technology<http://asist.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=de58424ef2e609298efbb4a00&id=b3cdf2c4fc&e=a26ab14515> and anti-Google advocate

In this interactive discussion scheduled for July 21st, 2016 at 2 PM EDT, Epstein will describe his Search Engine Manipulation Theory (SEME) which claims that search rankings favoring one political candidate can easily shift the voting preferences of undecided voters by 20 percent or more - by up to 80 percent in some demographic groups. SEME is controversial because people generally cannot detect biased search rankings; in other words, the effect is invisible to users. SEME can shift opinions, attitudes, or beliefs about almost any topic. To find out more about Epstein’s SEME experiment read his article The New Mind Control in aeon. (https://aeon.co/essays/how-the-internet-flips-elections-and-alters-our-thoughts).

Have you been manipulated by Google Search?

We all use Google as a starting point for our searches; we also interact with others on Facebook and other social media. But how much do we really know about the underlying algorithms? About the manipulative powers of these tools that we rely on so much? Join us for an inviting conversation with influential scholar Dr. Robert Epstein to get the facts straight and discuss possible solutions.

REGISTER NOW! Jul 21, 2016 at 2:00 PM EDT.

 After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the discussion.

View System Requirements<http://asist.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=de58424ef2e609298efbb4a00&id=05dd2b0aec&e=a26ab14515>

Stay connected to ASIS&T for future thought provoking “Meet the Author” events in our series where we will provide you with access to progressive authors debating all the hot trends in information science and technology!

Copyright © 2016 ASIST, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
ASIST
8555 16th street
Suite 850