[Siguse-l] SIG USE Chair's Mid-Year Report

Lorri Mon lorri.mon at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 19:59:53 EDT 2012

Hi everyone,

It's been a busy year at SIG USE, and we're looking forward to an excellent
ASIS&T 75th Anniversary Conference in 2012!  I've written a  SIG USE
Chair's Mid-Year Report (
http://mailer.fsu.edu/~lmon/SIG-USE-Report-2011-2012.pdf)  to update
everyone on our activities in  2011-2012.

Some quick report highlights:

The 2012 SIG USE Symposium on Emerging & Evolving Research Methods was
submitted and is now accepted for Saturday, October 27, 1:30pm-6:30pm, with
a keynote by Dr. Lisa Given on photography, participant-driven methods,
arts-based approaches and other new  methods.  Workshop attendees are
invited to give brief lightning talks on leading edge research
methodologies or developments of established research methods, and we'll
ask registrants planning to give  talks to include information on their
proposed talk to help us in organizing two rounds of lightning talks.
 Thanks to Symposium  Chair Jeanine Williamson and team: Karen Fisher, Lisa
Given, Linnea Johnson, Soo Young Rieh, Chirag Shah, Maria Souden, Rong
 Tang, Barbara Wildemuth, Bo Xie, & Guo Zhang for planning the Symposium!

SIG USE Web site is now available as a Wordpress site, with thanks to Chair
Lisa Zilinski and team members Bradley Wade Bishop  and Tawnya Means -
visit  http://siguse.wordpress.com for updates.

You'll also find a new SIG USE History wiki launched to help track photos,
documents, and historical materials thanks to History Team Leader Sanghee
 Oh and Sue Yeon Syn - see the site at: http://siguse.wikidot.com/

We are working on both SIG USE officer elections and membership
recruitment, with thanks to our Administration Chair Lisa Given  and
Recruitment Chair David Jank. Interested in serving as a SIG USE officer in
2012-2013? We're seeking SIG USE members for Incoming Chair, Treasurer,
Recruitment Chair, and Communications Officer.  Thanks also to our current
Communications  Officer Stephanie Willen Brown, and Listserv Manager Kendra
Albright for getting the word out about SIG USE  activities to our
membership!

Our SIG USE Awards for 2012 include a new Innovation Award for innovative
papers, videos, demos and other work  by SIG USE members accepted for the
2012 ASIS&T conference, as well as our research and travel awards, due July
1, 2012; with  thanks to Awards Chair Gary Burnett!  To apply:
http://siguse.wordpress.com/awards/

Please join us at the 2012 SIG USE Symposium on October 27, and at our SIG
USE Business Meeting (not yet officially scheduled, but  usually set for
Monday afternoons) where we'll share the latest news, welcome new officers,
recruit new committee members, and Denise Agosto will take over as
2012-2013  Chair.  See more detail about SIG USE 2011-2012 ongoing
activities in the Mid Year Report (
http://mailer.fsu.edu/~lmon/SIG-USE-Report-2011-2012.pdf), and I'll look
forward to seeing you at ASIS&T 2012!  -Lorri

Dr. Lorri Mon, 2011-2012 Chair of ASIS&T SIG USE
FSU College of Communication and Information
FSU SLIS, Florida's iSchool
Florida State University
268 Louis Shores Building, 142 Collegiate Loop
Tallahassee, FL 32306
email: lmon at fsu.edu
Web: http://siguse.wordpress.com/
Wiki: http://siguse.wikidot.com/