[Siguse-l] Looking for articles on David Ellis's information seeking model

Ramdeen, Sarah ramdeen at email.unc.edu
Mon Sep 12 20:16:46 EDT 2011

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know of any articles that contradict or are critical of David Ellis's information seeking behavior model from 1993?  I have found articles that support, test or build off of it, including later works by Ellis but I was looking for any works that might refute it or have contradictory findings.  I found an article by T.D. Wilson which places Ellis's model in context with earlier models including Wilson's own model (and I have to double check, but probably offers some criticism) but I could use a few more.

Thanks!
Sarah

Ellis, D. (1993). Modeling the information-seeking patterns of academic researchers: A grounded theory approach. The Library Quarterly, 63(4), 469-486.

Ellis, D., Cox, D., & Hall, K. (1993). A comparison of the information seeking patterns of researchers in the physical and social sciences. Journal of documentation, 49(4), 356-369.

Ellis, D., & Haugan, M. (1997). Modelling the information seeking patterns of engineers and research scientists in an industrial environment. Journal of Documentation, 53(4), 384-403. doi:10.1108/EUM0000000007204

T.D. Wilson, (1999) "Models in information behaviour research", Journal of Documentation, Vol. 55 Iss: 3, pp.249 - 270

Sarah Ramdeen PhD Student
School of Information and Library Science
University of North Carolina
ramdeen at email.unc.edu<mailto:ramdeen at email.unc.edu>
http://ramdeen.web.unc.edu/