[Siguse-l] Message #6: Newsflash - Information Behavior Research Has Arrived!

Jenna Hartel jenna.hartel at utoronto.ca
Mon Oct 3 20:21:11 EDT 2011

**Dear SIG-USErs,

A bibliometric* study by Milojevic', Sugimoto, Yan, and Ding (2011
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/asi.21602/abstract>) that
examines the "cognitive structure" of library and information science
(LIS)//contains exciting news for the information behavior (IB)
community. Their analysis of the terms used in the titles of articles in
LIS journals over the past 20 years reveals that information behavior is
establishing itself as a 4^th major branch of LIS (see it illustrated
<http://www.jennahartel.com/cognitive-structure-of-lis.html>). A similar
conclusion was reached by Åström (2007
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/asi.20567/abstract>) and
Järvelin and Vakkari (1990), but the recent research is more sweeping
and current. Many of us have intuited this development already and the
strength of SIG-USE within ASIS&T is just one parallel indicator; still,
it is great to have empirical evidence.

The paper offers additional insights into the publication patterns of IB
scholarship. Interestingly, our work is distributed /across/ the major
academic journals, unlike other main branches of LIS whose research is
concentrated in sources devoted to library science /or/ information
science. Further, our enterprise exhibits an "internal
multidisciplinarity" that transcends the technological nexus of LIS to a
"larger scope that can be described as processes, phenomena, and
institutions that bring people, technology and written records together"
(p. 1951). Bravo!

While information behavior research is experiencing a "surge" these
developments are called "tentative" (p. 1950). When a slightly different
analysis technique is applied to the data, IB disappears into the
library science branch of LIS. Therefore, we cannot consider our
ascendant status to be secure or permanent. Another matter (not
addressed by the authors) is that concepts such as "information
practice" and "information use" do not yet register as popular terms in
the data, perhaps due to their relative novelty or an ongoing lack of
consensus.

This study raises questions to ponder at the ASIS&T annual meeting in
New Orleans next week during the workshop
<http://www.asis.org/asist2011/SIG_USE_Workshop.html>, SIG-USE business
meeting (Monday, October 11, 11:30-12:30), and via informal
conversations with each other. Is it time for a dedicated IB journal to
concentrate and better organize our scholarship, as proposed by Michael
Olsson
<http://datasearch2.uts.edu.au/fass/staff/listing/details.cfm?StaffId=1656>
at the 2010 SIG-USE business meeting? Should we seek greater consensus
around nascent terms and concepts?What can SIG-USE and each of us
individually do to help fortify our research area?

Jenna Hartel

*A note to doctoral students of information behavior: /Go
//bibliometric/ <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bibliometrics>/!/I
strongly encourage you to digest studies such as the one at hand or the
classic co-citation analysis of information science by White & McCain
(1998
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/%28SICI%291097-4571%2819980401%2949:4%3C327::AID-ASI4%3E3.0.CO;2-4/abstract>).
(Reading the latter was a "eureka" moment during my own doctoral
studies, when I came to understand the organization and purpose of
information science.) Bibliometric research designs target literatures;
are unabashedly quantitative and positivistic; and contrast sharply with
more qualitative approaches prevalent in the information behavior realm.
I can imagine that some SIG-USErs have an allergic reaction to research
of this kind. But here are three reasons to embrace bibliometrics: 1.)
It is the only/original/ research method generated by LIS and should be
a point of fluency and pride for all; 2.) Bibliometric studies provide a
high-level view of the LIS landscape to more strategically locate your
own research amidst various concepts, specialities, scholars, and
journals; 3.) Anyone championing an /holistic/ approach to IB can employ
bibliometrics to establish the backdrop, that is, the /literature/,
where information behavior unfolds; therefore bibliometrics is a
natural/complement/ to information behavior studies. Newcomers to
bibliometrics who are attending the ASIS&T annual meeting in New Orleans
may benefit from the panel Bibliometrics and LIS Education: How Do They
Fit Together?
<http://www.asis.org/asist2011/abstracts/190.html>(featuring Dangzhi
Zhao, Howard White, Dietmar Wolfram, Jamshid Beheshti, Judit Bar-Ilan,
and Jonathan Levitt on Tuesday, October 11 at 10:30).

_References_

Åström, F. (2007). Changes in the LIS research front: Time-sliced
co-citation analysis of LIS journal articles
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/asi.20567/abstract>,
1990--2004. /Journal of the American Society for Information Science and
Technology, 58/(7), 947--957.

Jarvelin, K. and Vakkari, P. (1990). Content analysis of research
articles in library and information science. /Library and Information
Science Research, //12/, 395-421.

Milojevic', S., Sugimoto, C.R., Yan, E., and Ding, Y. (2011). The
cognitive structure of library and information science: Analysis of
article title words
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/asi.21602/abstract>.
/Journal of the American Society for Information Science and
Technology/, 62(10), 1933-1953.

White, H. D. & McCain, K. W. (1998). Visualizing a discipline: An author
co-citation analysis of information science
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/%28SICI%291097-4571%2819980401%2949:4%3C327::AID-ASI4%3E3.0.CO;2-4/abstract>,
1972-1995. /Journal of the American Society for Information Science,
//49/(4), 327-355.

--
Jenna Hartel, Ph.D., Assistant Professor
Faculty of Information