[Siguse-l] Stay tuned!

Jenna Hartel jenna.hartel at utoronto.ca
Thu Jul 28 08:13:04 EDT 2011

Dear SIG-USErs,

Happy summer.

I have volunteered to contribute on a regular basis to this mailing list
in an effort to stimulate discussion and enhance a sense of community.
For those who don't know me <http://www.jennaharte.com/>, I am an
Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Information, University of Toronto
and a SIG-USE member.

My postings will hopefully be of general interest to all participants in
SIG-USE. However, they will be written specifically for students of
information behavior within information studies. It seems a most
important project for a SIG to develop its next generation.Students,
please spread the word of this learning opportunity to your peers;
educators please rally your students into the list.

Given the above objective, and to organize the process, I will focus on
/themes/ and write 4-6 postings per theme at a rate of about one message
per week. Since mine is not the definitive perspective on information
behavior, I will count upon the input of others in our community to
round out the view.All are encouraged to join the conversation.

The first theme is "The Literature" and will help newcomers enter the
wonderful, shaggy literature of information behavior. During this first
theme there will be individual postings on the /Encyclopedia of Library
and Information Sciences, Annual Review of Information Science and
Technology/, an information behavior textbook, and an information
behavior handbook.Later themes will be "History and Foundations,"
"Metatheory," "Major Concepts," and "Methods." The thematic approach may
change if a better communication format emerges organically.

There is lively debate in our research area today about basic
terminology: "information behavior" versus "information practice" and so
on. This issue will be side-stepped for now; I will simply use
"information behavior" as a banner for the research area well described
on the SIG-USE website <http://siguse.wordpress.com/about/>.

Stay tuned!

Jenna Hartel, Assistant Professor
Faculty of Information, University of Toronto
www.jennahartel.com <http://www.jennahartel.com>
jenna.hartel at utoronto.ca