[Siguse-l] Deadline extended - ASIST 2011 Workshop on Collaborative Information Seeking

Chirag Shah chirags at rutgers.edu
Sun Aug 28 21:34:17 EDT 2011

[Apologies if you receive this call more than once. Please feel free to forward to other interested parties. Note the extended deadlines for early registration (Sept. 4) and position paper submission (Sept. 5)]

CFP: ASIST 2011 Workshop on Collaborative Information Seeking (CIS)
October 12, 2011. New Orleans, Louisiana.
http://collab.infoseeking.org/events/asist2011workshop
The notion that information seeking is not always a solitary activity,
and that people working in collaboration for information intensive tasks
should be studied and supported, has become more prevalent in the recent
years than ever before. The field of collaborative information seeking
is re-emerging, and bringing many researchers and practitioners from
various disciplines. We invite you to join a small and motivated set of
such participants in a workshop with the theme of "Collaborative
Information Seeking: Bridging the Gap Between Theory and Practice". The
workshop will focus on theoretical foundations of collaborative
information seeking (CIS) as well as its applications, and provide an
excellent platform for learning about collaborative/social aspects of
information seeking as well as discuss various challenges and opportunities.

*Workshop Format*
The workshop is organized as a highly interactive event. Participants
will have an opportunity to briefly present their current research on
CIS, we will have discussions and break-out sessions on the topics, and
one goal will be to outline a research agenda for future CIS. This
format will provide an ideal ground for seasoned researchers and
practitioners as well as beginners such as graduate students.
So bring your questions and curiosity!

*Position Paper Format*
Potential attendees are encouraged to submit a brief position paper.
The paper should be *two to four pages long* in ACM format
<http://www.acm.org/sigs/publications/proceedings-templates>.
Please email .pdf or .doc versions to Chirag Shah (chirags at rutgers.edu)
by *5:00pm PST on September 5, 2011*.

Also, while position papers are not due until Sept. 5, we ask that you
inform us about your intention to participate as early as you can
(before Sept. 3) to help us with the organization and planning.
By notifying us early, we will try to confirm your space at the
workshop in time for you to take advantage of the ASIS&T early
registration deadline (Sept 4).

*Workshop Themes*
  * Theories and models for Collaborative Information Seeking (CIS)
    and related areas.
  * Methodologies for studying various CIS issues, particularly,
    user behavior in CIS environments, collaborative information
    processes
    and task-related CIS
  * Integration of CIS models and frameworks into existing theories,
    models, tools or applications.
  * Application of CIS in different domains – requirements, issues,
    and benefits

*Discussion Points and Questions*
   1. How does collaboration fit into existing solitary information
      seeking activities?
   2. How do we move from single-user information seeking models to
      those for multi-users (collaborative)?
   3. The concepts of collaborative information handling and sharing
      are used in an unclear way. What is the distinction between them?
   4. How to integrate collaborative seeking into everyday life and
      professional environments?
   5. What should be required and desired characteristics of a CIS
      system?

*Important Dates*
September 3, 2011: Intention to participate sent to the organizers
September 4, 2011: ASIS&T early registration deadline
September 5, 2011: Position papers due
September 9, 2011: Notifications
October 12, 2011: Workshop

*Organizers*
Chirag Shah, Rutgers University
Preben Hansen, Swedish Institute of Computer Science
Rob Capra, UNC Chapel Hill

Chirag Shah, PhD
Assistant Professor
School of Communication & Information (SC&I)
4 Huntington St, New Brunswick NJ 08901
p. (732) 932-7500, ext. 8240	f. (732) 932-6916
http://comminfo.rutgers.edu/~chirags