[Siguse-l] Panel on Health Info Use & Health Literacy, Tues 2p

Maria Souden seramar at umich.edu
Mon Oct 25 10:45:53 EDT 2010

Hello fellow information behavior and health information scholars,

Just putting in a plug for what we hope will be a stimulating and *
interactive* session on "How understanding health information use can
contribute to constructs of health literacy." We want this session to be
exploratory and collaborative with the audience, so we are asking *you* to
think about the same questions we're asking the panelists to respond to:

·       What constitutes a source of health information in the lived
experience of illness?

·       What does the idea of “quality health information” mean given varied
intentions that people with illness often have when they approach a source?

·       To what extent do models of information seeking translate to the
lived experience of illness?

A brief description of the panel is posted below. Hope to see you there!

Tuesday, 2-3:30, Kings Garden South

*-----------------*

*Listening to Patients:
How Understanding Health Information Use Can Contribute to Health Literacy
Constructs*

*Panelists: *Maria Souden, Tiffany C.E. Veinot, both University of Michigan
School of Information; Shelagh Genuis, University of Alberta; Timothy Hogan,
Center for the Managemnt of Complex Chronic Care & Loyola University School
of Medicine; Ellen Rubenstein, University of Illinois GSLIS

This panel focuses on expanding concepts of health literacy by exploring how
the acquisition and use of health information through the context of
people’s daily lives significantly enhances their understanding and
implementation of both acute and chronic health treatment and management.
Prevalent health literacy initiatives emphasize core information literacy
skills and concerns by addressing issues such as readability, clarity in
communication, and appropriate vetting of online health information sources;
however, these measures do not address the intricate ways in which people
interact with and use information when making decisions about their health.*
*

In this session, researchers working within a variety of cross-disciplinary
arenas and contexts, posit that information behavior perspectives can enrich
the conceptual base of health literacy, contributing a deeper understanding
of people's engagement with and use of health information in the context of
their lived experience with health conditions.

--
Maria Souden, MSI
Doctoral Candidate
seramar at umich.edu