[Siguse-l] SIGUSE Election, Award, Business Meeting, Workshop

Rieh, Soo Young rieh at umich.edu
Mon Oct 18 15:45:13 EDT 2010

Dear SIGUSE Members:

ASIST AM 2010 is fast approaching, and we all are getting busy. Before finalizing your travel schedule, here are a few SIGUSE activities that do not want to miss.

1.       SIGUSE Chair Election
The election will be closed on Wednesday (Oct. 20). If you haven't done so, please go back to Dick Hill's email sent to you on Oct. 13 (Subject: SIG USE Officer Election) and vote. Chair candidates' biosketches are available at: http://www.asis.org/SIG/SIGUSE/governance.php.

2.       Outstanding Contributions to Information Behavior Award

I am pleased to announce that Barbara Wildemuth, University of North Carolina, won the Outstanding Contributions to Information Behavior Award this year. Barbara has been an influencing and productive scholar in the field of information behavior for many years. From her earlier work about medical students' information behavior to recent Open Video Project, Health Records Project, Digital Library Curriculum Development, her work has made such a deep impact to those researchers who study information behavior. Congratulations, Barbara! Thank you so much for those SIGUSE members who nominated outstanding scholars in our field. Awards ceremony will be held on Oct. 27 at 12:30 pm during the SIGUSE and SIGSI joint workshop.

3.       Business Meeting
Please mark on your calendar. We will have SIGUSE Business Meeting on Monday (October 25) at Noon. Come to Birmingham Room. We will provide soft drinks and delicious snacks. You can bring your lunch and join the discussions. We have a number of exciting meeting agenda including planning for next year's SIGUSE research symposium, innovative member communication methods, leadership mentoring, and many other discussion items. Please feel free to bring your colleagues who might like to learn more about SIGUSE or even join us.

4.       SIGUSE Workshop

It is not too late to register SIGUSE Workshop scheduled on Oct. 27. Did you miss the deadline to submit your concept proposal paper? No problem. You still can join the workshop to discuss "WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE WE TALKING ABOUT: INFO NEEDS, SEEKING, AND USE -- THE DIFFERENCES THAT DEFINITIONS MAKE IN CORE CONCEPTS." You can take a look at some concept papers at (more papers will be added later):  http://www.asis.org/wiki/AM10/index.php/Siguse

Best wishes, Soo

Soo Young Rieh

ASIS&T SIGUSE Chair 2009-2010